This is a very easy dal to make, esp when you have run out of ideas and vegetables to make any other dal. Tomatoes are, after all, the staple of any kitchen, right up there along with potatoes and onions!!! 🙂
Tomatoes add a bit of tanginess, which may be otherwise given with tamarind.
This is a quick and easy dal to prepare, and tasty too!
- Chop the tomatoes into medium-sized pieces
- pressure cook the tomatoes with the toor dal and green chillies chopped
- When the cooker cools down, transfer to a cooking vessel, and add the salt, chili powder, and turmeric
- Mix well together is such a manner that the dal and tomatoes are thoroughly blended together.
- Cook again for a few minutes to ensure that the excess water in the dal evaporates
- Heat a small wok with 1 tsp oil, and add the tadka.
- Once the tadka is done (the mustard seeds are popping), add to the dal and mix well.
- You may add the curry leaves to the tadka before taking it off the flame.
Serve hot with rice.