This is a favourite snack item found in hotels across Andhra Pradesh. Though it is essentially a breakfast item, it is also made for dinner at some places.
- 1 cup plain rava (sooji/semolina)
- 2.5cups water
- 4 green chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- curry leaves
- 1tsp salt
- 3 red tomatoes (medium-sized)
- Tadka: aavalu(mustard seeds), chana dal, red chilli
- In a large vessel, heat about 2 tbsp oil and add the tadka.
- Once the mustard starts popping, add the chopped tomatoes
- put the lid over the vessel to braise the tomatoes.
- After the tomatoes are softened, add water, curry leaves and salt, and replace the lid
- When the water comes to boil, slowly add the rava while constantly stirring. This will prevent the rava from forming clumps.
- For added flavour, ghee and roasted cashew nuts can be added.
- Mix well, and keep cooking till the rava is done.
- Turn off the gas, and keep aside for 5 minutes
Serve hot with kura podi and curds.