I’ve made this particualr dal only once before… and it definitely tasted good even on the first try. Simply because its simple, and is a great option if you’re bored with all the other dal options in the kitchen. 🙂
- 1 cup kandi pappu (toor dal)
- 5 medium size vankai
- lime-sized ball of tamarind, soaked
- 8-10 green chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp chilli powder
- Tadka: aavalu (mustard seeds), jeera, mina pappu (urad dal), red chilli
- Cook the dal, chopped green chillies and vankai chopped into long pieces of 6 or 9.
- In the meantime, squeeze the juice from the soaked tamarind and keep ready.
- Once the dal has cooked, mash the dal and chillies well while keeping the vankai pieces intact.
- Add the tamarind juice, salt, chilli powder and mix well
- cook for 10 mins or till excess water dries up
- In a small wok, heat 1 tsp oil and add the tadka.
- Once the aavalu start popping, add to the dal and mix
- Cook the dal for a couple of minutes more and then take off flame.
Serve hot with rice and ghee.