This particular recipe is very easy, and is handy at times when you don’t really want to spend too much time in the kitchen! 😉
This recipe uses kura podi (https://teluguveggie.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/kura-podi/), and takes only abt 20 minutes to prepare.
4-5 vankaya (brinjals/eggplant)
5 spoons of kura podi
3 tsp oil
pinch of salt
- Chop the vankaya into 4 parts each. Keep the pieces as similar in size as possible, and keep in a dish of water till needed.
- Heat the oil in a wok, and when it starts to heat up, add the vankaya.
- Add the salt and turmeric and mix well.
- Put on a lid, and let it braise. Keep checking every 2 mins to ensure the vankaya is done.
- When the vankaya skin is soft to touch i.e. makes a light indent when pressed, add the kura podi.
- Mix well to ensure the podi covers all the pieces.
- Cover again, and let it cook for 2 mins. Turn off the gas when the podi and vankaya starts to stick to the wok.
Serve hot with rice and dal.
Nimmakaya Majjiga, or spicy buttermilk, is a favorite across India. It is, of course, called by other names as well, the most familiar being chaas.
I was familiar with the name chaas, and not with nimmakaya majjiga. So when ma-in-law asked me to make this for their return trip, I said I had no idea what she was talking about. So she set about teaching me how to make it, just a few hours before her trip. 🙂 But this is a lesson I will certainly be thanking her for again, since this is the best thirst-quencher one can find in summer!
2 glasses buttermilk, thinned with water
2 green chillies
1/4′ piece of ginger
2 stalks of curry leaves
pinch of salt
juice from 1 lemon
- Rough-grind the chillies and ginger.
- Add the curry leaves and spin once to ensure the leaves have been chopped into very fine pieces, but not mashed.
- Mix into the buttermilk.
- Add the salt and lemon juice.
- Stir well and set aside for at least 1 hr.
This buttermilk can be had at anytime, whether after a meal or after stepping into the house after a long day out in the sun, or as a pick-me-up after a tiring day!! 🙂