I made this particular pulusu on Vijaya Dasami, and finally got around to posting it here. 🙂
Mukkala Pulusu is normally made as a combination with utti pappu, as this particular pulusu does not use any kind of dal.It is made as part of the special lunch for most Andhra festivals.
Lime-sized ball of tamarind
Choice of vegetables: sorakaya (bottle-gourd), tomatoes, bendakaya (okra/bhindi), munakkaya (drumstick), or dosakaya (yellow cucumber)
3 green chillies, split lenght-wise
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar/jaggary
Curry leaves and coriander leaves to taste
2 tsp rice flour mixed in water
- Soak the tamarind
- Boil all the vegetable pieces
- Squeeze tamarind juice into the boiled vegetables
- Add chilli powder, salt, turmeric, sugar, curry leaves and coriander to the vegetables.
- Add more water as required
- Mix a bit of rice flour in water and add to thicken
- In a small wok, add 1 tsp oil and add the tadka. Once the mustard seend pop, add to the pulusu.
- Set to cook till the pulusu becomes a little thick.
Serve hot with rice and utti pappu.