This is, by far, one of the most popular snacks available on the street of India. it doesnt matter which part of the country you belong. Chances are, you’ve tried this dish, and have ordered it again, and again. 🙂
This is my attempt to re-create that magic in my kitchen.
1 cup peas
10 cauliflower florets
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup chopped beans
- Boil all the vegetables except the onion and tomatoes
- Mash slightly and set aside
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large wok and add the chopped onion.
- Once the onion has turned brown, add the chillies and tomatoes
- Add turmeric, chilli powder and masala
- Cook till the tomatoes have softened up.
- Add mashed vegetables, some water (if required) and mix well.
- Cook till the water evaporates, and the vegetable is a bit thick.
- Take off the flame, and add chopped coriander as garnishing.
You can serve this with pav, rotis or even dosas (yes, Dosa!). I wasnt sure of this until the other my husband suggested it. It turned out quite well to my surprise. the spiciness of the bhaji off-sets the blandness of the dosa, and makes a great combination.
You can also replace the pav bhaji masala with garam masala. This will give you a simple mixed-vegetable dish that can be served with rotis.