This is an interesting Dal that is made only in Andhra. Most people outside of Andhra are not familiar with this.
Coriander / cilantro
- Soak the tamarind and set aside
- pressure cook the toor dal, green chillies (split through the center) and onions chopped in half
- Once the cooker has cooled, carefully remove the cooked onions and set aside
- Then blend the cooked dal with the chillies and tamarind juice.
- Add salt, sugar, chilly powder and turmeric and mix well.
- You may add more water to improve the consistency of the pulusu. But one must be careful not to make it too thin, else the pulusu will taste watery.
- Add curry leaves & chopped coriander for taste.
- Put the pulusu to cook again.
- Heat a small wok with 1 tsp oil, and add the tadka.
- Once the tadka is done (the mustard seeds are popping), add to the pulusu and mix well.
- You may add the tadka at the end after the pulusu is done, or while it is cooking. It is a matter of personal taste.
Serve hot with rice & vegetables.