This is possibly one of the simplest, and healthiest dals in South Indian Cuisine.
Spinach is famous for its nutrients (thanks to Popeye), and health benefits. The fact that Its easy to prepare also makes this a popular dal.
- Soak the tamarind and set aside
- Wash the palak leaves throughly and chop them up finely
- pressure cook the leaves with the toor dal and green chillies chopped
- When the cooker cools down, transfer to a cooking vessel, and add the salt, chilly powder, turmeric, and juice from the soaked tamarind
- Mix well together is such a manner that the dal and palak are thouroghly blended together.
- Cook again for a few minutes to ensure that the excess water in the dal evaporates
- Heat a small wok with 1 tsp oil, and add the tadka.
- Once the tadka is done (the mustard seeds are popping), add to the dal and mix well.
- You may add the curry leaves to the tadka before taking it off the flame.
Serve hot with rice.