3 pieces dried coconut
1/2 cup urad dal
2 cups chana dal
1 cup coriander seeds (dhaniya)
approx 3 handfuls of red chillies
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp cooking oil
1 tsp hing (LG black hing)
4 tsp Salt
- Chop the coconuts into small pieces
- Mix the pieces with the urad dal, chana dal, dhaniya, red chillies and fenugreek seeds and set aside.
- In a small wok, heat the oil & hing till the hing fluffs up and changes colour
- Pour the oil into the mixture given in step 2, and set the hing aside
- Transfer the mixture of condiments into a large, thick wok, and heat on a high flame, stirring constantly
- Once the chana dal is lightly roasted, turn off the heat and add salt, tamarind and the hing, and mix well.
- Once cooled, grind the mixture into a fine powder.
This masala can be used for flavouring vegetable as well as served with various tiffins.