Another dish taught by my mother-in-law (and of course, made perfectly by her) is the “pindimiriyam”.
50gm Arbi (chamagadda)
2 tsp Coriander seeds (dhaniyalu)
2tsp Chana dal (senaga pappu)
3tsp pepper (miriyalu)
1/2tsp urad dal
1 cup grated coconut
4-5 dried red chillies
lime-sized ball of tamarind
3/4th cup of toor dal
mustard seeds, urad dal
- Boil the arbi, peel and set aside
- Cook the dal, add 1tsp salt & 1/4 tsp turmeric and keep aside
- lightly roast the dhaniyalu, chana dal, pepper, red chillies, urad dal & rice
- grind together with the tamarind and grated coconut
- Mixthe resultant mixture with the dal and arbi. Chop the arbi into mid-sized peices before adding.
- You can add in a pinch of hing, curry leaves and coriander for added flavour.
- Cook till done.
- Roast the tadka in a small wok with 1 tsp oil and add to the pindimiriyam.
Serve hot, with rice.